Essex Models and Miniatures archive
Category: Curtiss-Wright

Matchbox, Curtiss-Wright Dumper

by Peter
Categories: Construction Plant, Curtiss-Wright, Diecast models, Matchbox
Tags: No Tags
Comments: Leave a Comment

Over the years, Matchbox did some great large scale construction site/ quarry dumpers, one of the others being the Whitlock Dinkum Dumper this is the Curtiss-Wright CWD 321, 35 ton dumper, Matchbox Number K7 and was released in 1961.

See also Matchbox Dinkum dumper and Matchbox KW Dart

The real Curtiss-Wright CWD 321 dumper can be seen in the brochure shot below along with other CW machines.

If you thought Curtiss-Wright made aeroplanes you would be right, but they did diversify into other engineering companies, in 1958 Curtiss-Wright Corporation (CW) of South Bend, Ind., purchased the Wooldridge plant manufacturers.

Formed in 1929 by the merger of companies founded by the Wright Brothers and Glenn Curtiss, CW was trying to diversify itself from being solely dependent on the aeronautical business. It had taken over the Studebaker Corporation in 1956 and had spare manufacturing capacity at the South Bend automaker’s factories. It also dedicated 400 acres at the South Bend facility for a proving ground for scrapers. CW continued offering the six pull scraper models, four motor scrapers, and three bottom dump models from Wooldridge, with new model number prefixes: CW for motor scrapers, CWT for pull scrapers, and CWD for bottom dumps. In 1959, it added two larger motor scraper models to the line: CW-220 (27 yards, 375 hp) and CW-226 (36 yards, 375 hp); both got new grille and hood styling.

In 1960, the pull scraper line was pared to two models, CWT-8 and CWT-30, and continued slow sales forced further reductions in its entire scraper line. Big problems for CW were that all of its scrapers were cable-operated while most of its competitors were converting to hydraulic controls, and it did not offer a full line of construction equipment, which helped keep buyers loyal to a particular brand. CW ended scraper production in 1961, and the last gasp of the scraper line was a contract to provide CWT18M 18-yard struck/26-yard heaped cable-controlled pull scrapers for the U.S. Army in 1963 for use with Caterpillar 830M and Michigan 290M wheel dozers. CW is still in business, but is no longer involved in construction equipment manufacturing.