- About Me
- Collecting used model diecast vehicles
- Contact Us
- Diecast Restoration
- Tri-ang, Spot-On, fiat Multipla restoration
- Budgie Bedford TK’s
- Matchbox Lotus Europa born again
- Merlin A100, diecast jeep restoration
- Audi Quattro
- Commer ice cream van restoration
- Quick Fix #1
- Aston Martin DB7 refurbishment
- Corgi, Mercedes Pullman 600 renovation
- Removing Corgi diecast wheels
- Quick fix #2
- Removing Chrome from plastic parts
- Saico BMW repair
- Quick Fix #3
- Replacing, Matchbox Superfast axles
- Matchbox MG 1100 restoration
- Budgie, Motorway coach restoration
- Bburago, Prima Giugiaro, restoration
- Corgi Rover SD1, restoration
- Matchbox Daimlar ambulance restored
- Majorette Renault 4 restoration
- Matchbox K6 pick-up truck repair
- Diecast restoration tools & equipment
- Franklin Mint 1930 Duesenberg J Derham Tourster custom repaint
- Quick fix #4
- Corgi Ford Thunderbird, restoration
- Modellers paint stripping guide
- Quick Fix #5
- Recent diecast renovations & conversions
- Taking pictures & dioramas
- Customs and Conversions
- Tanzara Pickup
- VW trailer project
- Custom Dinky Hudson led sled
- Matchbox Faun Crane to Pickfords heavy mover conversion
- Husky, Ford F-series custom conversion
- Corgi Commer Karrier, with a twist
- Salvaged from scrap
- Corgi, Chevrolet Astro 1
- Corgi Ford Thames pick-up project
- Matchbox Faun crane to Maz 537 conversion
- Matchbox Dodge generator truck project
- Wargames vehicle projects
- Plastic & metal kits
- Scenery & buildings
- Trains and railway layouts
- Tri-ang Hornby track type history
- DCC wiring for model train beginners
- My model railway projects
- Triang low loader conversion
- Gn15 narrow gauge, model railway
- My model railway projects, buildings and scenery
- The layout #1
- Model railway, renovations and conversions
- Knightwing shunter projects
- Featured pages
- Scale figures & wargames
- Robo Gear
- Orc’s & Goblins
- Knights & Castles
- 1:21 scale, Eaglemoss, Doctor Who figures
- 1:32 and 1:35 scale figures
- Action figures
- Making stickers and decals
- A question of scale
- Pressed Steel toys, restoration and collecting
Some of you know I have a soft spot for concept cars so decided to pull the Chevrolet Experimental car, Astro 1 from the restoration shelf to see what I could do with it.
Picked this up about a year ago and has since been on the backburner waiting for inspiration, this is the Corgi Chevrolet Experimental car, Astro 1 No347.
I did some research on the real concept car and one thing that kept coming up was the colour scheme below.
So the first thing was the strip it to component parts, as with many Corgi cars the back lift up hood had a crimped pin though it and decided if I could get away with leaving this in place then all the better, with a few wiggles it hood came off and after playing with it and replacing it a few times I was happy I could assemble it with the pin in place once painted.
Next the caustic soda bath and then polished out all the casting marks with 500 wet and dry.
The chrome bonnet section was then stripped using Fairy power spray and dipped for about 3 hours, it then just wipes away.
To see the article on removing chrome plating from plastic Click Here
I wanted to get the red colour as near to the picture as I could, and luckily I have a good retentive memory for colour and found this one in Halfords straight away in the rack, it’s called VW Mars Red.
One thing that struck me about the real car was the red line around the screen and across the bonnet line, this was going to be tricky but do love a challenge.
So with careful masking the screen got a blast of the same red colour.
And once dry and careful tape removal we have success.
The seats and dash were then handpainted matt black after filling the holes in the seat for the absent figures, the mirrors are going black, painted carefully by hand, rather than strip the chrome I have left it so the lens part of the mirror stays chrome.
Most of the parts ready below.
And finally the unveiling of this fantastic car, really happy with it but have used the existing wheels for now but will be making wheels to match the picture of the real car from alluminium at some point, I have my new mini lathe set up and the metal but still no cutters, plus will take me a while to get used to the machine, this will be posted under a new engineering section as well showing how I did them.
The finished car for now.