- About Me
- Collecting used model diecast vehicles
- Contact Us
- Diecast Restoration
- Tri-ang, Spot-On, fiat Multipla restoration
- Budgie Bedford TK’s
- Matchbox Lotus Europa born again
- Merlin A100, diecast jeep restoration
- Audi Quattro
- Commer ice cream van restoration
- Quick Fix #1
- Aston Martin DB7 refurbishment
- Corgi, Mercedes Pullman 600 renovation
- Removing Corgi diecast wheels
- Quick fix #2
- Removing Chrome from plastic parts
- Saico BMW repair
- Quick Fix #3
- Replacing, Matchbox Superfast axles
- Matchbox MG 1100 restoration
- Budgie, Motorway coach restoration
- Bburago, Prima Giugiaro, restoration
- Corgi Rover SD1, restoration
- Matchbox Daimlar ambulance restored
- Majorette Renault 4 restoration
- Matchbox K6 pick-up truck repair
- Diecast restoration tools & equipment
- Franklin Mint 1930 Duesenberg J Derham Tourster custom repaint
- Quick fix #4
- Corgi Ford Thunderbird, restoration
- Modellers paint stripping guide
- Quick Fix #5
- Recent diecast renovations & conversions
- Taking pictures & dioramas
- Customs and Conversions
- Tanzara Pickup
- VW trailer project
- Custom Dinky Hudson led sled
- Matchbox Faun Crane to Pickfords heavy mover conversion
- Husky, Ford F-series custom conversion
- Corgi Commer Karrier, with a twist
- Salvaged from scrap
- Corgi, Chevrolet Astro 1
- Corgi Ford Thames pick-up project
- Matchbox Faun crane to Maz 537 conversion
- Matchbox Dodge generator truck project
- Wargames vehicle projects
- Plastic & metal kits
- Scenery & buildings
- Trains and railway layouts
- Tri-ang Hornby track type history
- DCC wiring for model train beginners
- My model railway projects
- Triang low loader conversion
- Gn15 narrow gauge, model railway
- My model railway projects, buildings and scenery
- The layout #1
- Model railway, renovations and conversions
- Knightwing shunter projects
- Featured pages
- Scale figures & wargames
- Robo Gear
- Orc’s & Goblins
- Knights & Castles
- 1:21 scale, Eaglemoss, Doctor Who figures
- 1:32 and 1:35 scale figures
- Action figures
- Making stickers and decals
- A question of scale
- Pressed Steel toys, restoration and collecting
This is one of those that evolved from diecast beyond their best and started with The Matchbox Ford Thames Trader recovery truck.
What I wanted to do is use the back part so all I needed was a cab, enter the Matchbox Dodge stake truck, or whats left of it.
First I had to dissect the Thames Trader
To make the base of the Dodge fit the body, two square notches had to be cut in the body.
A few adjustments with the needle file and a prefect fit.
For the Dodge I removed the cab.
Although the Dodge is a six wheeler I cut down the base to fit the Trader body.
The Dodge wheels were too big for the Trader body so had to use the Trader wheels which are slightly smaller.
Here is the mock up.
The generator is actually a Matchbox Kingsize engine and the tool box a square electrical component from a PC board.
Now all painted and ready for assembly, I drilled a hole for an orange beacon before painting but couldn’t find any amber one’s so used a clear one and used a amber glass paint, the plasticine is just to hold it still while painting.
This amber paint is used by stained glass painters.
The orange beacon went in first followed by the original glass, to make the glass fit back tight I had to drill a hole to clear the beacon.
With those glued into place and the wheels and axles done, the cab could be fixed onto the chassis.
The body was then fitted and fixed.
All that’s left to do is some detailing to the generator and design and make some suitable decals
The decals were printed on white glossy sticker paper otherwise the yellow wouldn’t show up on clear, so I had to match the blue of the body as near as possible and cut out by hand.
Finally, the detailing and a simple decal is now done, simple but took a while due to the shape