- About Me
- Collecting used model diecast vehicles
- Contact Us
- Diecast Restoration
- Tri-ang, Spot-On, fiat Multipla restoration
- Budgie Bedford TK’s
- Matchbox Lotus Europa born again
- Merlin A100, diecast jeep restoration
- Audi Quattro
- Commer ice cream van restoration
- Quick Fix #1
- Aston Martin DB7 refurbishment
- Corgi, Mercedes Pullman 600 renovation
- Removing Corgi diecast wheels
- Quick fix #2
- Removing Chrome from plastic parts
- Saico BMW repair
- Quick Fix #3
- Replacing, Matchbox Superfast axles
- Matchbox MG 1100 restoration
- Budgie, Motorway coach restoration
- Bburago, Prima Giugiaro, restoration
- Corgi Rover SD1, restoration
- Matchbox Daimlar ambulance restored
- Majorette Renault 4 restoration
- Matchbox K6 pick-up truck repair
- Diecast restoration tools & equipment
- Franklin Mint 1930 Duesenberg J Derham Tourster custom repaint
- Quick fix #4
- Corgi Ford Thunderbird, restoration
- Modellers paint stripping guide
- Quick Fix #5
- Recent diecast renovations & conversions
- Taking pictures & dioramas
- Customs and Conversions
- Tanzara Pickup
- VW trailer project
- Custom Dinky Hudson led sled
- Matchbox Faun Crane to Pickfords heavy mover conversion
- Husky, Ford F-series custom conversion
- Corgi Commer Karrier, with a twist
- Salvaged from scrap
- Corgi, Chevrolet Astro 1
- Corgi Ford Thames pick-up project
- Matchbox Faun crane to Maz 537 conversion
- Matchbox Dodge generator truck project
- Wargames vehicle projects
- Plastic & metal kits
- Scenery & buildings
- Trains and railway layouts
- Tri-ang Hornby track type history
- DCC wiring for model train beginners
- My model railway projects
- Triang low loader conversion
- Gn15 narrow gauge, model railway
- My model railway projects, buildings and scenery
- The layout #1
- Model railway, renovations and conversions
- Knightwing shunter projects
- Featured pages
- Scale figures & wargames
- Robo Gear
- Orc’s & Goblins
- Knights & Castles
- 1:21 scale, Eaglemoss, Doctor Who figures
- 1:32 and 1:35 scale figures
- Action figures
- Making stickers and decals
- A question of scale
- Pressed Steel toys, restoration and collecting
Sometimes I have models that although could do with a total restoration I either don’t have the time or as most of these ‘Quick Fix’ I just want to fix or improve the model for the time being.
This Crescent mobile crane truck is hard to find complete but a common issue is a broken or bent crane jib as it is only made from thin pressed steel plate (tinplate) I finally found one in complete condition but had a bent jib but as it was a reasonable price I bought it.
You can see the damage to the jib in the following three pictures.
To fix this will take about ten minutes, longer if it’s something your not used to doing.
Firstly you will need to cut a small piece of wood that fit tightly inside the bottom of the crane jib.
The bottom piece of wood is what I used the top piece was thinner and I used this to straighten the jib slightly to get the big piece in.
The piece of wood seen fitted, note the crane string is removed to one side as this will get in the way of reforming the metal.
Using a small metal hammer and a small anvil, if you don’t have a small anvil, the side of a lump hammer will work just as well, this can now be knocked carefully back into shape, it’s worth mentioning at this point that you will lose some of the paint while doing this.
After a few minutes it is starting to look reasonable.
I could of gone further but this is good enough for display.
To see the article on this Crescent mobile crane Click Here