- About Me
- Collecting used model diecast vehicles
- Contact Us
- Diecast Restoration
- Tri-ang, Spot-On, fiat Multipla restoration
- Budgie Bedford TK’s
- Matchbox Lotus Europa born again
- Merlin A100, diecast jeep restoration
- Audi Quattro
- Commer ice cream van restoration
- Quick Fix #1
- Aston Martin DB7 refurbishment
- Corgi, Mercedes Pullman 600 renovation
- Removing Corgi diecast wheels
- Quick fix #2
- Removing Chrome from plastic parts
- Saico BMW repair
- Quick Fix #3
- Replacing, Matchbox Superfast axles
- Matchbox MG 1100 restoration
- Budgie, Motorway coach restoration
- Bburago, Prima Giugiaro, restoration
- Corgi Rover SD1, restoration
- Matchbox Daimlar ambulance restored
- Majorette Renault 4 restoration
- Matchbox K6 pick-up truck repair
- Diecast restoration tools & equipment
- Franklin Mint 1930 Duesenberg J Derham Tourster custom repaint
- Quick fix #4
- Corgi Ford Thunderbird, restoration
- Modellers paint stripping guide
- Quick Fix #5
- Recent diecast renovations & conversions
- Taking pictures & dioramas
- Customs and Conversions
- Tanzara Pickup
- VW trailer project
- Custom Dinky Hudson led sled
- Matchbox Faun Crane to Pickfords heavy mover conversion
- Husky, Ford F-series custom conversion
- Corgi Commer Karrier, with a twist
- Salvaged from scrap
- Corgi, Chevrolet Astro 1
- Corgi Ford Thames pick-up project
- Matchbox Faun crane to Maz 537 conversion
- Matchbox Dodge generator truck project
- Wargames vehicle projects
- Plastic & metal kits
- Scenery & buildings
- Trains and railway layouts
- Tri-ang Hornby track type history
- DCC wiring for model train beginners
- My model railway projects
- Triang low loader conversion
- Gn15 narrow gauge, model railway
- My model railway projects, buildings and scenery
- The layout #1
- Model railway, renovations and conversions
- Knightwing shunter projects
- Featured pages
- Scale figures & wargames
- Robo Gear
- Orc’s & Goblins
- Knights & Castles
- 1:21 scale, Eaglemoss, Doctor Who figures
- 1:32 and 1:35 scale figures
- Action figures
- Making stickers and decals
- A question of scale
- Pressed Steel toys, restoration and collecting
This loco started out as a bit of fun and built from an old Triang OO gauge dock shunter as I have a few of these that had seen better days I have also converted others for my future OO gauge layout and can be seen here.
Starting with a good chassis, I need to clear one side for the cab area, in the picture below is the standard chassis.
By altering the wiring, reversing the dock shunter light mount a clear area is achieved and although this is the front of the chassis it will now become the rear.
Only the bonnet or nose of the dock shunter body is being used and with the remainder cut away I can start creating the rest from plasticard.
I started with the base plate and cut around all raised areas on the chassis this is 2mm plasticard.
With the bonnet section in place I decided to remove the lower lip and leave the tool boxes intact.
Much neater, the moulding grill was also removed and a new one added, this was made from material I had laying around for other projects.
The cab area was made from 2mm plasticard and the driver tested for seating position.
The buffer beams were built up with 2mm plasticard and side supports and the front one fitted, the rear needs some of the chassis metal removed and I have marked it below what needs removing.
Cut and trimmed ready for rear buffer beam.
Rear buffer beam fitted.
Next the coupling blocks.
Before I fit these I have drilled a 1mm hole ready for the pins that will later act as coupling pins.
A coat of primer to show up any filling that needs doing and have also made up a gearbox cover in the cab.
Next will be further detail and seat.
Seen here with the kit built loco from a previous article